Energy and Water Saving Laundry System Takes Home Silver Edison Green Award
Tide® Professional Coldwater Laundry System has been named a 2015 Award Winner by the internationally renowned Edison Awards™. This innovative laundry system enables hotel facilities to reduce the energy needed to heat the water in a commercial washer by as much as 75% 1 and to reduce the water used in a commercial washer by up to 40%.2 The Tide Professional Coldwater System was recognized as the Silver Edison Green Award™ winner at the annual Edison Awards gala in New York City.
The distinguished Edison Awards, inspired by Thomas Edison’s persistence and inventiveness, recognize innovation, creativity and ingenuity in the global economy. Specifically, the Edison Green Award is designed as a platform to recognize efforts by an organization to reduce carbon footprint, create Green Collar jobs through new innovation methods and improve community health and self-sufficiency.
“We’re proud to receive the Silver Edison Green Award for our Tide Professional Coldwater System,” said Carrie Rathod, Brand Manager, P&G Professional. “Tide Professional Coldwater offers a host of environmental benefits to hotel operators and guests. It’s designed to use significantly less water at colder temperatures compared to traditional on-premise laundry systems, yet still delivers the clean, white, soft linens and towels customers and guests expect from Tide. This helps hotels reduce their energy and water costs, as well as reduce reliance on these limited resources, which is increasingly important as more of the country is afflicted by drought.”
About the Award-Winning Tide Professional Coldwater Laundry System
The Tide Professional Coldwater Laundry System includes four products – a near-neutral pH detergent, fabric softener, bleach and whiteness enhancer. Tide Professional Coldwater features an advanced system using unique enzymes that are specially designed for lower wash temperatures which help effectively break down stains without the need for higher water temperatures. The end result is a system that uses significantly less water in colder temperatures to deliver clean, soft, white linens and towels to hotel guests.
The new wash process reduces the number of fills and water used per wash to help cut washing machine gas and water costs in half.3 The Tide Professional Coldwater System helps save as much as $8,700 per year4 (for a 150 room hotel) based on water, energy and linen replacement cost savings, In fact, linen replacement costs are reduced by up to 15% 5 due to the near-neutral pH formula and added Tide Professional Whiteness Enhancer.
“It’s exciting to see companies like P&G Professional continuing Thomas Edison’s legacy of challenging conventional thinking,” said Frank Bonafilia, Edison Awards’ executive director. “Edison Awards recognizes the game-changing products and services, and the teams that brought them to consumers.”
Edison Award nominees are judged by more than 3,000 senior business executives and academics from across the nation whose votes acknowledge the winners success in meeting the award’s stringent criteria of quality.
Award winners were announced April 23, 2015 at the Edison Awards Annual Gala, held in the historic Ballroom of The Capitale in New York City.
About The Edison Awards
The Edison Awards is a program conducted by Edison Universe, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization dedicated to fostering future innovators. For more information about the Edison Awards, Edison Universe and a list of past winners, visit www.edisonawards.com.
1. Up to 75% energy savings - When you switch to the Tide® Professional Coldwater System from a standard hot system. For guest room linens only. Applies to energy used to heat water in your washing machine only.
2. Up to 40% water savings - When you switch to the Tide® Professional Coldwater System from a standard hot system. For guest room linens only. Applies to water used in your washing machine only
3. Assume U.S. national average commercial water and gas costs according to Black & Veatch 2012/2013 report "50 Largest Cities Water/Wastewater Rate Survey" and the American Gas Association 2012 "Energy Industry Analyses and Statistics.”
4. Up to $8,700 bottom line savings - Annual savings based on switching from a standard alkaline system to the Tide® Professional Coldwater System. Assume U.S. national average commercial water and gas costs according to Black & Veatch 2012/2013 report “50 Largest Cities Water/Wastewater Rate Survey” and the American Gas Association 2012 “Energy Industry Analyses and Statistics”. Must have fully programmable washing machines to qualify for savings. Linen savings based on a 50-cycle test vs. the leading alkaline system. Savings assumes the standard competitive system is priced parity with Tide® Professional Everyday system (Tide® Detergent, Clorox and Downy) and uses Linen replacement cost data based on a study among Hospitality key decision makers in April 2014.
5. Up to 15% linen savings vs. leading alkaline system in 50-cycle test.